Food allergy or intolerance?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
The quickest way to usually determine the difference is how quickly you notice a reaction. If you react fairly quickly, or even straight away, then it will most likely mean you have an allergy to that food/drink. If things take a little while to develop then it will probably be an intolerance. Having an allergy is far worse than an intolerance, as a severe allergy can cause potentially life-threatening issues, such as swelling of the throat (anaphylaxis).

The most common symptoms of a food intolerance are skin rashes/swelling, nausea, sickness feeling, gut pain, the need to go to the bathroom more frequently, and maybe even mild respiratory issues. Intolerances are caused because of a lack of correct enzymes to break down a certain food. 

Having certain food allergies or intolerances doesn’t necessarily mean you have to cut out those foods altogether – sometimes little tweaks with your diet, or maybe even a few supplements to help sort your gut out, could be the answer! 

If you think you're suffering from food allergies or intolerance, seek help from a nutritional consultant who specialises in that area (where they can perform tests) or go to your GP. 

Lee Gregory Fitness

Popular Posts